Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Blueberry Muffins


Just in case you were wondering... no, it is not actually blueberry season yet here in BC. That wonderful time of year wont arrive for a few more weeks according to the BC Association of Farmer's Markets. Unfortunately I am too impatient to wait this long and so in order to satisfy my craving, yes I did in fact pay a little more than I would have liked for a basket of fresh blueberries that travelled all the way from California, GASP! What kind of person am I! Oh well, I'll make up for my awful carbon footprint in late July/August when blueberry season will be in full force here in BC. I would have bought frozen blueberries which isn't any better but the recipe clearly called for fresh blueberries and since I have a bad habit of improvising while baking with varying results, I thought I'd better bake the recipe exactly as written. And that is what I did.

This recipe is another gem from Gwyneth Paltrow's new cookbook named My Father's Daughter. I have not actually purchased the book (yet) but I seem to keep stumbling upon recipes from the book online.  I was blown away by her fantastic Peanut Butter Cookies and so I had nothing but high expectations for these muffins, and congrats again Gwyn. They are amazing; the perfect amount of sweetness and density that a proper muffin should have.

Gwyneth also offers a healthier version of this recipe where she substitutes white flour for spelt flour and whole milk for soy milk and maple syrup and agave nectar in place of white sugar. Next time I may try to make a healthier version but for now, these will do just fine.


Blueberry Muffins
from My Father's Daughter by Gwyneth Paltrow via SELF

1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
2 eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
21/2 cups fresh blueberries

Heat the oven to 370 degrees F and line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners, (probably not totally necessary but I did it anyway). Combine dry ingredients in one bowl and wet ingredients into another bowl and then combine wet and dry; fold in blueberries. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups; sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp of sugar. Bake until muffins are golden and a knife comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Serve warm.




No comments:

Post a Comment