Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Rather Pleasing Beef Stew



With everyone in this household battling runny noses and hacking coughs, we decided to make some heartwarming and tasty comfort food tonight. We've been making this stew for a few years now whenever the mood strikes and it is a winner. Read No Fail Recipe. Just chop it all up and throw it in a pot and let it simmer for a few hours until perfection and the beef is tender as can be. Perfect for a cold and wet January night. You may be alarmed when you see TWO and a half cups of red wine but don't hesitate or skimp on this....you can thank me later. PS. I did not actually drink that glass of vino in the above picture since I may have mentioned I'm with child but Kelly did so I thought I would add it to the pic. Just thought I'd mention that so you don't judge me.

Well, I've never been to Italy but I can just imagine eating this meal in some cute little hole in the wall mom and pop type place. Mmmmmmm.

Tuscan Beef Stew with Polenta
from Epicurious December 2007
Serves 6


3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, diced into small cubes
3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3 celery stalks, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 pounds stew beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 1/2 cups dry red wine
8 sprigs fresh thyme
3 medium tomatoes, halved
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a large saucepan over moderately high heat, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Add onion, carrot, and celery and sauté, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add beef and sauté, stirring occasionally, until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add wine and thyme, stir well, and bring to boil. Add tomatoes, salt, and pepper, then lower heat to moderately low, cover, and simmer, stirring every 15 minutes, until beef is tender, about 2 hours.


Serve with *polenta or some crusty bread

* I like to buy a tube of polenta which can be easily sliced and then grilled or baked with a some olive oil and salt and pepper sprinkled on top.

                                                       Polenta sliced and ready to be baked

Just about ready!


No comments:

Post a Comment